History of St Laurence’s Church, Ludlow, Shropshire.
Although there has probably been a church on this site since about 1100, the current church of St Laurence wasn’t started until 1199, and has been heavily modified over the following 300 years. The 14th century saw the addition of the south porch and south transept, along with the rebuilding of the north aisle.
Between 1433 and 1470 a major rebuilding project was taken on with extended the chancel, including the stalls with their misericords, increased the height of the nave, which meant that a clerestory was added and the nave pillars were extended. The most impressive, 132 foot, tower was completed during this phase. .
The stained glass in the east window was renewed during the time of William IV, showing the story of St Laurence. There was also much internal restoration between 1859 and 1861.